Wines

Torremilanos El Roble Viejo 2007

Region: Ribera del Duero D.O.
Winery: FINCA TORREMILANOS

Grapes: 90% Tinto Fino, 5% Garnacha, 5% White Tempranillo
Vintage: 2007
Color: Red

All fruit comes from the 90 year old Roble Viejo vineyard on the Finca Torremilanos estate. The different grape varietals were picked at the same time and saw alcoholic fermentation in small cement tanks. Tannin extraction was controlled solely through punch-downs. 60% of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation in tank and the other 40% in new French oak barrels. The 60% with ML in tanks stays in cement tanks for entire aging process. The 40% with ML in barrel saw a further 14 months aging in new French oak. After 14 months the two lots are blended back together and aged for a further 11 months in cement tanks prior to bottling. The wine was bottled unfined and unfiltered on December 11 2009.

Named, "the best bottle of wine I tasted from Spain in 2011" by Michael Franz in Wine Reivew Online

Check out this wine on Cellar Tracker

Reviews

Publication Score Comments
The Wine Advocate 94 The purple-colored 2007 El Roble Viejo is 90% Tempranillo along with 5% Garnacha and 5% Albillo aged in cement tank and new French oak. It emits a nearly ethereal aromatic array of sandalwood, scorched earth, truffle, lavender, blackberry, and licorice. Full-bodied, savory, rich, and complex, this elegantly styled wine will evolve for another 3-4 years and drink well through 2027 if not longer.
Issue 188, April 2010
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar 93 Opaque purple. Very fragrant nose offers seductive raspberry and cherry-cola scents, along with notes of potpourri and cured tobacco. Densely packed red and dark fruit flavors are surprisingly lithe, with fine-grained tannins making a late appearance. Deep but light on its feet, finishing with excellent clarity and spicy persistence. These vines in this site are reportedly 90 years old.
Issue 152, Sept/Oct 2010
Wine Review Online 95 If you are looking for a serious gift wine or a holiday splurge for yourself, your ship has just come in. This remarkable rendition of Tempranillo has it all: Complex, expressive aromas; outstanding density and depth of flavor; admirable balance between fruit and tannin and acidity and oak, and a finish that just won’t quit. Yet what is most unusual is that its sensory trajectory runs against the typical pattern by which prodigious wines start out tight and hard and loosen with air. In this case, the wine is marvelously open and soft right out of the starting gate, and surprisingly shows more structure and definition over time after opening. It never quite turns tight or hard, but it shows its seriousness only after showing its charms--which are phenomenal. This is the best bottle of wine I tasted from Spain in 2011, and that’s out of a pool of about more than 700, including some that were notably more expensive than this one.
Issue December 13, 2011