This wine is 100% Tempranillo from vines aged between 10 and 20 years. Fruit is sourced from 30 different plots on the estate all of which are farmed organically (undergoing certification). The grapes were macerated with the must for 9 days during fermentation in temperature controlled tanks. 80% of the wine underwent malolactic fermentation in stainless steel while the other 20% underwent malo in oak barrel. Following fermentation the wines were aged in oak barrels for 7 months prior to bottling without filtration.
Decanter Awards 2012
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
Opaque ruby. Powerful, spice-accented aromas of black and blue fruits and violet, with a subtle vanilla nuance building in the glass. Silky and broad, offering gently sweet blueberry and cherry flavors and a touch of bitter chocolate. Gently tannic on the finish, which leaves a spicy note behind. This is a an excellent value for the appellation. Issue 164, Sept/Oct 2012
Soft and ripe dark fruit on the nose. Rich, good fruit on the palate with lovely balance. Nicely made and, indeed, delicious. Excellent value. Drink 2012-2015 17/20 points (90) Radford's 10 of the best list
Stephen Tanzer's Winophilia
Bodegas Finca Torremilanos (Grapes of Spain ) is a highly reliable producer in Ribera del Duero known for its high-end wines, but the 2010 Monte Castrillo Ribera del Duero ($14) is the current release that really caught my eye this year. Two thousand ten is a great vintage here, as in most of Spain, by the way. This wine offers spice-accented aromas and flavors of dark fruits and violet, and displays a subtle vanilla accent and alluring silkiness on the palate. It showcases the depth and power for which Ribera del Duero wines are renowned but for a ridiculously low price. 10/19/2012