Grapes: 90% Tempranillo (Tinto Fino), 10% Blanca del Pais (Albillo Mayor)
Fruit for this wine is sourced from only 2 vineyards in this vintage: Roble Viejo and La Galinda.
Roble Viejo is an 90 year old vineyard at 880 meters elevation. La Galinda is 75 year old vines, both on the estate. This was the second year that yields were drastically lower than average.
Ricardo’s oldest vineyard las Senoritas was decmiated by hail in June and was unable to ripen a crop. Ricardo says that 2008 was a vintage where growing great plants (vines) yielded superior quality of fruit. Harvest started at the beginning of October and lasted until early November.
White grapes are pressed and the white must is added to red grapes followed by a 4-5 day prefermentation cold soak. Total maceration
is 8-10 days and depends on the quality of the skins. The wine is pressed in a small manual basket press. 50% of the wine sees malo in the cement tanks and the other 50% in new barrels. 20% of the wine remains in cement for the total aging time, the remainder spends 24 months in oak barrels. Following oak aging the wine is blended and allowed to integrate in cement tank prior to bottling. The intent is to respect the aroma, flavor and texture of the grape with its unique character coming from its own plot and biochemistry. Minimal chemical use during growing and minimal mechanical use in the vineyard and winery support this goal. Wood for the barrels is bought, aged and coopered into barrels on site.
Despite the less-than-stellar vin¬tage, this is excellent, with dark berry aromas, earthy grit and complexities that rise to the occasion. It feels big, fresh and fruity, with racy black-cherry, chocolate and pepper flavors. Elegant, correct and complete; drink now–2016. Issue 2512, December 31, 2012
The Wine Advocate
The 2008 Cyclo is a blend of 90% Tempranillo and 10% Albillo. In an interesting twist at this level, 80% of the wine was aged for 24 months in French oak while the remaining 20% spent the entire aging period in cement. The explanation is too lengthy to include here but for those interested, the importer or the Bodega can provide its rationale. Aromas of herbs, olives, truffles, minerals, incense, violets, and blackberry aromas inform the nose of an elegant, savory, ripe Tempranillo that will continue to blossom for another 2-3 years and offer a drinking window extending from 2013 to 2023. Issue 195, June 2011
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
Bright ruby. Fresh, floral-accented aromas of black raspberry, cherry-cola, violet and Indian spices. Suave and silky in the mouth, with appealing floral lift and energy to the deep red and dark berry and spicecake flavors. Finishes with gentle, harmonious tannins, lingering sweetness and very good persistence. For a rich wine this is impressively graceful. Issue 158, Sept/Oct 2011