Grapes: 100% Tinta de Toro
Grapes were cold macerated for 10 days at 42 degrees Fahrenheit prior to fermentation to maximize aroma and color. Fermentation lasted 10 days at temperatures between 68-77° F, followed by an addition 12 days of post-fermentation maceration of skins. After pressing the wine underwent malolactic fermentation in 225 liter barriques, followed by 10 months aging in barrel. All barrels were made of French oak with 50% new and 50% one year old from the following coopers; Nadalie, D’Argaud, Sylvain, Demptos. 70% of the barrels were toasted medium plus and the other 30% medium.
The 2008 Eternum Viti is 100% Tinta de Toro sourced from 30- to 40-year-old vines and aged for 10 months in 50% new French oak. Purple-colored, it sports an alluring bouquet of toasty oak, scorched earth, tobacco, espresso, and blackberry. Smooth-textured, suave, and palate-coating, this tasty effort can be enjoyed over the next 6 years. It is an outstanding value. Issue 188, April 2010
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
Inky ruby. Heady scents of red berry preserves, incense, fresh flowers and spicecake. Lively raspberry and cherry flavors are complicated by cinnamon and anise, with nervy minerality contributing spine. A suave and precise wine with very good finishing punch, pinot-like vivacity and lingering sweetness. Issue 152, Sept/Oct 2010